Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WIP Wednesday

Once again it has been a busy week for me. I managed to link up last week so once again I am going to try to link this up with Lee at Freshly Pieced and her WIP Wednesday post.

The "biggest" thing that I have been working on is a baby quilt for my "Sister In Law's" baby that is due in May or so. I say "SIL" because it is my husband's stepbrother's significant other. "SIL" is close enough. "Biggest" because it is the priority and has gotten the most time but isn't actually the largest.

A couple of weeks ago I did up this top in one Saturday. I have never managed to do this before with children around but I guess I am getting faster or the kids are getting a bit more self sufficient or whatever. Anyway, she is expecting a girl so I did up this quick "Yellow Brick Road" pattern with girl fabric that I had actually originally gotten for Brianna but never got made. She's six now and doesn't really need a crib quilt anymore and I needed a top quick so "SIL" is getting it. Now, because the fabric is pushing seven years old I couldn't tell you what it is but I liked it when I bought it! I backed it with the dotty pink minke and was talked into a poly batting by my LQS.

I really like how soft the whole thing turned out. I may be convinced to use poly batting for baby quilts from now on. We'll see. There just isn't the stiffness that a new cotton batting gives which is great for a longer term quilt or a bed quilt but I kind of like that the baby quilt is soft right away. I like that better for a baby.

I also took my very first Learn to Longarm class so this quilt was done with a stipple Panto by ME on a Longarm. Now, I have to admit that I will never again use a panto to stipple a quilt. Not because it was hard or turned out badly or anything, just that it should be easy enough to stipple free hand once I do the freehand classes. But I did learn how to load it on the machine, run the machine, the whole works. I can now do any panto on any quilt so it was a win.

It is still a WIP to me because I now have to buy something to bind it in and get that part done but I like binding so that's okay. I'll post a Finish It Up Friday post when I get it all done.

I have also been working some more on my HSTs for the two twin quilts from last week but didn't bother with pictures for that one.

My third WIP is my Storm At Sea Quilt. This one is eventually for my sister. This is another one that doesn't have an exact pattern for it. I liked the SAS pattern and made all the blocks with Foundation Piecing. This one is another that is about two years in the making. I now have it all put together and the papers all off the back. I want to put some borders on it but am having to figure it out as I go. I don't know what I want to do, just that I want borders. I am thinking a small red and then bigger blue. But a pieced blue? Piano keys? I don't know. I'll bind in red too.

I love the red heart in the middle. I love the optical illusion of the waves. This one was on my Bucket List and even though I won't be keeping it, still love that I made it.  
 
 
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Your Storm at Sea quilt is gorgeous! Have you tried any of the bamboo batting? I've used a 100% bamboo and one that's a cotton/bamboo blend, they have a really nice softness too them and quilt up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp! I love love love your Storm at Sea! It's a bucket list quilt for me, too, but I won't give mine away. ;) The baby quilt is cute, too - I love YBR for a fun, fast finish. Congrats on learning to long arm! I like pantos for teaching muscle memory, and then I feel confident in going out on my own freehand.

    ReplyDelete