Wednesday, February 19, 2014

WIP Wednesday

Well, I've decided to get going with this blog and jump in with WIP Wednesday. I'm going to try to link this up with Lee at Freshly Pieced

It's been a long winter here. As far north as we are, winters here kind of suck. It's cold, very snowy and seems to last forever. There's so much of it that it has to be really bad for school to cancel due to winter weather. The schools have "Green Dot Days" where they attach green dots to all the doors and the kids are to come straight in and all of the recesses are indoors. The schools do this when the temperature and wind chill combine to -23C or colder.


We've had ALOT of "Green Dot Days" this year. I haven't counted but it feels like half of our school days have been Dot Days. It sucks for everyone. The kids get cabin fever, it's hard on the teachers and it's hard when the kids come home to keep them entertained and not arguing.

Add to that piles of snow and I am so ready for spring. We get an average of 132cm of snow per winter and this year we are WELL above the yearly average. Right is a picture from our second floor. It's hard to see but some of the piles are four and five feet tall. Blech. Also, this is the middle of the morning so this is as bright as it got today. More snow expected every day this week.

So, because of all this, quilting is my happy place. Great pictures are hard to get with our short, grey days but I'll do the best I can. 


My dearest, most wonderful husband gave me gift certificates to my LQS for Christmas from himself and our children. Is that not the best husband ever? I sure think so. The bright pretty colours of my fabric are the second prettiest thing in my day. Once in a while Mother Nature gives us a blue sky. The rest of the time I count first on my wonderful family to make me smile. Quilting comes second but what could be better than my family making me feel so loved?



I haven't used all my gift certificates yet but I did get a bunch of twenty inch cuts of coloured fabrics. And by a bunch, I mean 68! I also got a ton of white on white. Since then I have made almost 3,000 HSTs. Each HST finishes at two inches. I know, I am a crazy lady. When everything is said and done, I will end up with two twin sized quilts. That's my current major WIP.



I am taking the HSTs that I made, combining them into patches using 16 HSTs each using the ideas from Camille Roskelley as well as a few more that weren't on her list. I will then sash them with two inch squares organized I don't know how yet. The final design isn't there yet. It's kind of in my head and still a work in progress.

 











I have also been working on the "Don't Look Now" applique quilt "Little Monsters". Only I changed it up a bit and have been doing it as much as possible with freezer paper hand applique. Yeah, still a crazy lady.








My LQS laughingly and lovingly refers to me as the crazy quilt lady because of my love of BIG and complicated quilts. That's okay. There are worse things to be crazy about than quilts.

Now that I have posted and edited a ton of times, hopefully I have an easier time with my next post. Things don't seem to post live the way they look as I'm typing it up. Oh well, with practice I assume this will get easier and better.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go getting started! I think that is the hardest part. Your half square triangles are so cheery and I absolutely love the happy colors of the "Little Monsters Quilt" which I could never do.

    Never heard of green sticker days, will enjoy that imagery as being very apt for the winter of 13-14!

    ReplyDelete